Wednesday, February 6, 2013

My first Wordle #edcmooc

Wordle: Adult Learning
My first Wordle

I had never even heard of a Wordle until I began the MOOC and since I am concurrently doing a course on Adult Learning and have it in my mind front and centre, I thought I would give it a whirl. I am so pleased with the result and it was easy!

I also tried the Prezi.com application and created a great pathway map with text as a kind of marketing presentation for my firm's skills evaluation exam. We were all impressed here but when I mentioned it to several of the younger generation (20s and 30s), they were familiar with those two sites and did not get nearly as excited as did I and my contemporaries. These sites/applications are not new by any means, but they are new to me. It is like discovering a new flavour of ice cream!

I realize this has not much to do with Week 2 so far, and I will reflect and write some more in a day or two, however, in order to move into the future I necessarily have to travel through the present. It appears that these delightful tools on the internet are part of our present; they are neither utopian nor dystopian and they are not the message or the content. They are just tools. But they do allow me to exercise creativity without being an artist, making the knowledge more beautiful and to me, anyway, more exciting.

I expect that if I were to sit down with an adult who was not terribly comfortable with computers and have him or her play with Wordle, we would all be smiling and relaxed. 

And to add to my happiness, I found this site: 45 Interesting Ways to Use Wordle

No comments:

Post a Comment